- Young Commonwealth
- About the Commonwealth
- The Commonwealth & Young People
- Commonwealth Countries
- Commonwealth Week – Commonwealth Youth Action Event
- Commonwealth Youth Forum
- BUILDING BRIDGES: Commonwealth Fellowship and leadership development for young women
- Commonwealth Young Leaders Exchange, UK and Sri Lanka
- Commonwealth Youth Caucus
- Commonwealth Youth Climate Summit
- Commonwealth Local Government Young Professionals Forum
- Commonwealth Timeline
Commonwealth Young Leaders Exchange, UK and Sri Lanka
Dare2Lead in partnership with the Commonwealth Youth Exchange Council has recruited 8 young leaders from the UK to engage in an exciting exchange with fellow Sri Lankan Youth Leaders. This programme is truly youth led, being devised and run by young people both in the UK and Sri Lanka.
Young people make up some 60% of the Commonwealth, yet most youth in many countries still don’t feel they are getting the voice they deserve. Following 130 young leaders gathering in Perth, Western Australia in October 2011 for the Commonwealth Youth Forum, a range of new ideas, partnerships and projects were forged. One of which was this innovative exchange.
The exchange will:
• be a two-way visit between young leaders in each country who are non-political and
are engaged in youth clubs/ democracy/ leadership
• Raise awareness of Commonwealth values (such as mutual respect, democracy,
human rights, youth empowerment, peace and fairness) and youth’s role in these
• Enable cultural understanding - both national cultures and respective youth cultures
• Inform young leaders on how youth have a voice in another country and strengthen
the relations among young leaders in both countries
• Equip participants with the ideas, motivation and skills to take social action
• Explore youth issues with a view to CHOGM and CYF being hosted in Sri Lanka in 2013
• Develop further leadership skills so the participants will more effectively represent
and engage their peers in the future
The exchange will have a packed itinerary including skills development training, visits to respective legislatures, meeting Parliamentarians, visiting youth NGOs and participate in grassroots cultural community programmes.
UK Selection Criteria:
- 18 – 26 years old
- Ability to work in a team and on own initiative
- Ability to communicate with a diverse range of people
- Experience of working with young people in some capacity
- Engaged in youth democracy, advocacy or communicating with young people
- Experience of working on one or some of the following areas: Human Rights, youth
empowerment, equality, peace, health or business and enterprise
- Understanding of international development issues
- Experience of facilitating workshops/ leading training sessions
You must be:
- Able to attend a training weekend on 24th-25th March 2012
- Able to travel to Sri Lanka for approx 1 week in April 2012
- Commit to hosting Sri Lankan counterparts in September (dates to be confirmed)
UK Youth Leaders have now been selected.
Sri Lankan Selection Criteria:
- 18 - 29
- Be a member of a National Level Youth Organisation in Sri Lanka
- Proven Track record of engagement of youth related projects
- Fluent in English
- Sound computer literacy
- Ability to work in a team
- Awarenesss of international development issues
- Good communication skills
How to Apply?
Send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org or before 20th March 2012 along with a CV and a short description of maximum 100 words on "why you should be selected as a participant of this programme"
Short listed candidates will be called for an interview.