- About Us
- An update on Commonwealth Youth Exchange funding, March 2013
- What we do
- Xchange Partners
- Staff and Volunteer Team
- Contact Us
- Annual General Meeting 2011
- Commonwealth Teacher Exchange Programme (CTEP)
- Thinking of running a Commonwealth Youth exchange?
- Running an exchange
- 2008/2009 Exchanges
- 2009/2010 Exchanges
- CYEC AGM and Annual Forum
Commonwealth Teacher Exchange Programme (CTEP)
Commonwealth Teacher Exchange Programme for Canada and Australia
Applications for 2016-17 are now open. First round closing date is Friday 11th December 2015. Applicants wishing to exchange to Canada are strongly advised to meet this deadline.
A second round will close on 31st January 2016 for late applicants.
Are you a UK teacher looking for professional and personal development? Are you interested in a post-to-post exchange with Canada or Australia?
CYEC can help make this happen!!
The Commonwealth Teacher Exchange Programme (CTEP) is a great opportunity for teachers to develop professionally and personally by experiencing life in another education system and culture. For the academic years 2016-17, the two countries on the programme are Australia and Canada.
The Commonwealth Teacher Exchange Programme (CTEP) has been running for 100 years, initiated by the League for the Exchange of Commonwealth Teachers (LECT). It is now managed by the Commonwealth Youth Exchange Council, an education and development charity, which is a subsidiary charity of The Royal Commonwealth Society (RCS). The CTEP, as administered by CYEC, is recognised by the UK Government for allocation of Tier 5 visas to enable exchange counterparts to work in UK, and similar arrangements exist for UK teachers to obtain visas to work in Canada and Australia on a reciprocal post-to-post exchange basis. CYEC has a co-management partnership with most of the state/province education jurisdictions, or their agents, in Canada and Australia in order to run this professional interchange programme.
Eligibility Criteria: You need to
• have a minimum of five years teaching experience, inclusive of the probationary teaching year.
• hold QTS / a degree plus PGCE certificate / BEd
• be able to demonstrate the professional, academic and legal requirements set by the host education jurisdiction
• have an excellent professional record backed up by full references
• be prepared to adapt to a varied teaching context and potentially challenging situations
• commit to making the exchange year a success and bringing your learning back to your UK institution
• commit to the full agreed exchange period (normally one year, but shorter periods can be negotiated)
• provide suitable accommodation for your exchange partner, usually your own home, although alternative rented accommodation may be arranged. Both participants must have sole occupancy of accommodation.
If you are interested in the programme please read the Guidance Notes (below) carefully; these give you detailed information about the programme, the eligibility criteria and fees payable for arrangement of the exchange.
We unfortunately will not be able to accept applications from teachers in schools in special measures, or in schools about to go into special measures.
Application forms for 2016-17 are available to download.
Please submit your application form and any general queries concerning your application to Teacher.Exchange@thercs.org
If you have any specific questions regarding the programme please contact:
Helen Jones, Director, Commonwealth Teacher Exchange Programme (CTEP)
7-11 St Matthew Street
London SW1P 2JT
Telephone: 0203 727 4300